Grenadian Stewed Chicken
8 chicken thighs deboned and diced
Ingredients for Seasoning chicken
1 tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground clove
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1tbs fresh thyme leaves
3 cloves garlic, minced
2” piece fresh ginger root, grated
1 onion, finely chopped
1tbs soy sauce
1tbs Worcestershire sauce
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2tsp sea salt
1tbs olive oil
Ingredients for stew
200ml chicken stock
1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
1 small green pepper, diced
1 small red pepper, diced
1 small yellow pepper, diced
- In a mixing bowl combine chicken and the ingredients for seasoning chicken together coating all of the chicken.
- Cover bowl with the seasoned chicken and leave in fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight in fridge.
- Place a saucepan onto medium heat, add oil and heat through add sugar and caramelise or brown, a medium colour.
- Add chicken pieces to saucepan, leaving aside the seasoning ingredients for the time being.
- Continue stirring chicken to allow an all over coating with the browning liquid.
- Continue cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Next add the set aside seasoning ingredients and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the whole scotch bonnet pepper and chicken stock, bring to the boil and reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes separate the chicken from the sauce and set aside in a separate bowl, then add the diced peppers and stir and reduce the sauce for a further 10 minutes on a high heat until its thickened.
- Add the chicken back into the pot and mix through.
- Remove from heat, adjust seasoning – salt.
- Serve with Rice and peas or plain boiled rice