Grenadian Style Rice & Peas
1 Tin Pigeon Peas
1 ½ Cups basmati rice
1 tin coconut milk
1 tbsp Fresh thyme
1 Scotch bonnet pepper
1 Large onion finely chopped
2 Garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Butter
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 Vegetable stock cube added to 200ml water
1 Bay leaf
1 Clove garlic
6 Whole cloves
- Place a frying pan on medium heat, add olive oil, butter and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme, bay leaf, fry for a further 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add onion mixture to peas, add coconut milk, scotch bonnet pepper and bring to the boil.
- Add rice, vegetable stock cube, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir ingredients, bring to boil and cover pan, and reduce heat to low.
- Allow to cook until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest covered for 10 minutes before serving. Don’t forget to remove the thyme sprigs and scotch bonnet pepper!