Jamaican Style Rice and Peas
Jamaican style rice & peas uses kidney beans. Many islands have their own take on this dish from using different beans (or peas) and spices. Of course, it’s fantastic with curry mutton or jerk chicken!
2 cups cooked kidney beans
1 1/2 cups Long grain easy cook rice
400mls coconut milk
600mls vegetable stock
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 whole scotch bonnet Pepper
2 tbs chopped coriander
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 litre vegetable stock
- Place a lidded saucepan on a medium heat on the hob.
- Add olive oil and butter and allow to melt together.
- Add chopped onions to pan and sauté for 6 minutes until soften but not coloured.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Next add the fresh thyme leaves, Tan Rosie’s jerk rub, stir to prevent sticking to pan.
- Add Kidney beans, coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Stir in the long grain rice, season with sea salt and black pepper and scotch bonnet pepper and bring to the boil.
- Check seasoning. Lower heat to a simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cook so that all the liquid is absorbed, this should be 15 minutes.
- Remove scotch bonnet pepper and discard.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat, fluff up rice and peas replace lid and leave for 10 minutes before serving.
Taken from our latest book Caribbean Kitchen OUT NOW