Jamaican Style Rice and Peas
Jamaican style rice & peas uses kidney beans. Many islands have their own take on this dish from using different beans (or peas) and spices. Of course, it’s fantastic with curry mutton or jerk chicken!
225g Basmati rice, rinsed
1 Tin Kidney beans, drained
400ml coconut milk
400ml vegetable stock
1 medium onion, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
1 scotch bonnet pepper, leave whole
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Tan Rosie’s Jerk Rub
- Place a sauce pan on to a medium heat, place olive oil and butter add onions. saute for about 5 to 6 minutes until softened without colouring.
- Add garlic to onions and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add fresh thyme, jerk rub and black pepper and stir.
- Add Rice, kidney beans and stir, coating rice in the onion and herb mix
- Next add coconut milk, vegetable stock and scotch bonnet pepper and stir.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover saucepan and cook for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove from heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Taken from our latest book Caribbean Kitchen OUT NOW